Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sweet and Sour Pork


It is not often that I try a new recipe and tell you about it the same day.  I also don’t often post two similarly themed recipes in a row. Tonight however, I’m breaking with tradition.  Partly because I finished cooking and cleaning up early enough to tell you about what I made for dinner tonight.  Mostly because it was just that good.  And easy.  And perfect for a quick weeknight dinner.


This recipe for Sweet and Sour Pork was an unexpected winner.  I don’t normally like sweet meat, but I had most of the ingredients for this recipe on hand, and I needed to figure out what to do with the pork tenderloin taking up space in my freezer.  I found this recipe in TakeOut Tonight!, one of my current favorite cookbooks, and the source of my recipes for Broccoli with Garlic Sauce and Szechuan Chicken with Peanuts.  Since I love those recipes, I figured it was worth giving this one a try.


And I have to say, I’m glad I did.  This recipe comes together very quickly using everyday ingredients.  The pork (or you could use chicken) is lean and tender.  The sauce is sweet and savory and has a nice zing from the rice vinegar.  The bell peppers give the dish a nice crunch, and the pineapple chunks add juicy pops of sweetness.  Served up with some rice and a vegetable (and maybe an egg roll), you’ve got a fantastic dinner for any night of the week.


Two Years Ago: Cincinnati Chili

Sweet and Sour Pork
Adapted from Take Out Tonight!

Ingredients:
1 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes *
2 T. cornstarch, divided
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
3 T. ketchup
2 T. soy sauce
1 T. canola oil
1 T. minced peeled fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into1/2-inch pieces (I used a mix of green and red)
8 oz. can pineapple chunks in juice, drained

* Boneless skinless chicken breasts would also work well.

Directions:
In a medium bowl, toss the pork with 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch until evenly coated. 


In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining tablespoon of cornstarch, water, rice vinegar, sugar, ketchup and soy sauce.


Heat a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat.  When hot, swirl in the oil and add the pork.  Stir-fry until almost cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.


Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 30 seconds.  Add the bell pepper and pineapple.  Stir-fry for another 3 minutes, or until the peppers are crisp-tender.


Add the sauce.  Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce boils and thickens and the pork is just cooked through, about 2 minutes.


Serves 4.



2 comments:

  1. This would be good with Chinese noodles too! I like to cook the noodles, arrange them in nests, drizzle with oil and broil them until they are crispy on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails