Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Brussels Sprouts with Apples, Onions and Bacon


I was all set to tell you about my new favorite dessert today – a dessert that is fast, easy, and perfect for a weeknight treat.  So why, I’m sure you are asking, am I telling you about Brussels sprouts?  Because I made this recipe for Brussels Sprouts with Apples, Onions, and Bacon last night, and it rocked my world.  So much so that it jumped right to the head of the line.  You’re just going to have to trust me on this one.  (And trust that the dessert recipe won’t remain a mystery for long.)


But I digress.  Back to my new favorite veggie recipe… It all starts with a little bacon – just enough to make the whole dish smoky and incredible tasting.  Diced granny smith apples and red onion come next, cooked in the bacon drippings until they are softened and sweet.  Finally, shredded Brussels sprouts are mixed in, along with some great flavor from apple cider vinegar and Dijon mustard.  All in all, the combination of flavors and textures is, as I said, kind of world-rocking.  At least for a vegetable recipe. 

 

Brussels Sprouts with Apples, Onions and Bacon
Adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients:
2 slices bacon
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T. water
2 T. apple cider vinegar
1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (I used a little more)
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Cook the bacon until crisp in large skillet over medium heat.  Remove the bacon from the pan and crumble it.  Set aside.


Add the apple, onion and garlic to the drippings in the skillet.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly browned.  Add the water and vinegar to the pan; scrape up any browned bits. 


Add the Brussels sprouts and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes, or until softened.  Stir in the mustard, salt and pepper.


Remove the skillet from the heat.  Sprinkle with the reserved bacon.


Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails